I speak and write about the impact of AI on the world around us: about AI, design, and ethics. Since 1998, I’ve given more than 100 invited talks at conferences, workshops and universities, both academic and in a professional context, in North America, Europe, Asia, and South America, including keynote, closing plenary, and other featured talks.
- January 7: Umeå Institute of Design & HUMLab, Umeå, Sweden
- January 10: IxDA Stockholm & GOTO 10
- February 8: IxDA Awards (co-chair), Lyon, France
- March 1: Keynote: ConveyUX, Seattle, WA
- March 9: IDEO Chicago
- March 22: Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA
- April 10: Carnegie Mellon-K&L Gates Conference on Ethics & AI
- April 23: Keynote: MinneWebCon, Minneapolis
- April 26: Design, Materiality & Artificial Intelligence (with Paul Dourish), Institute of Design, IIT, Chicago
- May 12: Keynote: SmartGeometry, Toronto
- June 12: CMU Robotics Institute Retreat
- June 18: Integrated Innovation for the Internet of Things, CMU
- July 31: Intuit
- August 3: Google
- October 11–13: Midwest UX, Chicago
- October 15: Northwestern University, Program in Science & Human Culture
- November 3–4: CanUX
- November 10–11: Chicago Humanities Festival
- March 24: ACSA: Architectural Intelligence panel (panel chair)
- March 27–29: AAAI symposium: Designing the User Experience of Machine Learning Systems (co-organizer)
- April 1: TEDxCMU
- April 6: Keynote: Web à Quebec
- May 4–5: Digital Humanities and Design Symposium
- May 25–29: ICA: Buried Media
- June 27–29: Eyeo Festival
- July 10: AI Now
- August 31: UX Week
- September 14–15: Google SPAN Pittsburgh
- October 5–6: Summit for Design Research, IIT
- October 12–14: Keynote: Midwest UX
- November 10–11: Environment, Reconsidered, Yale School of Architecture
- November 20: Keynote: Internetdagarna, Stockholm
- November 30: The Bartlett, London
some recent talks
Keynote: Internetdagarna, Stockholm
I gave a keynote talk titled Architects, Designers, and the Invention of AI at Internetdagarna in Stockholm in November 2017. It’s the conference put on by the Internet Foundation in Sweden, the organization that runs the top-level domain (.se) for the country.
Eyeo Festival, Minneapolis
In June 2017, I spoke at the Eyeo Festival in my hometown, Minneapolis. The talk is about AI’s architectural history (also one of the main subjects of my book). I titled it “These Important Years” in a hometown shoutout to Hüsker Dü. (Eyeo is the conference where I met my husband five years ago, and since the conference was in my hometown, my parents and nephew were in the audience.)
I spoke at TEDxCMU in 2017 about What AI Can Learn from Design—a topic that’s now becoming a big part of my research for my next book and related projects.
I spoke at the first O’Reilly Design Conference in January 2016 about the history of artificial intelligence and information architecture, in a talk titled “From AI to IA: How AI & Architecture Created Interactivity.” The architecture of digital systems isn’t just a metaphor. It developed out of a 50-year collaborative relationship between architects and designers, on one side, and technologists in AI, cybernetics, and computer science, on the other. This talk traces that history of interaction, tying it to contemporary lessons aimed at designing for a complex world.
In Chicago in October 2014, I gave a talk as part of MAS Context’s lecture series that neatly encapsulates what my book is about.
Canadian Centre for Architecture
I gave a talk at the Canadian Centre for Architecture in Montreal in 2013 titled “Information Archeologies, or: ‘Occasionally, Jumps Happen,'” on the history of digital design and architecture.
I’m interested in issues about data, identity and place. I gave this Ignite talk at the Eyeo Festival in 2013.
I’ve given Ignite talks about pneumatic tubes in San Jose, LA, NYC and Philly, and 33,000 people have watched this one at last count. I’ve given a longer version at Nerd Nite in Madison as well.
The podcast 99% Invisible kicked off their third season with an episode on pneumatic tubes that featured an interview with me in September 2012.